From Articulate to Augmented reality, choosing which e-learning product to use for a specific job is a challenging task. Many of us default to what we know, or what our organization has always used, but this lack of adaptability can be limiting and costly. There are more than 110 e-learning tools out there, all claiming to be the silver-bullet solution for every online learning situation. The truth is that there is no single product that fits every project, and you can limit costs and development time by selecting the right tool for a specific job. This interactive presentation will teach you how to select the most cost-effective e-learning tool, based on instructional methods and content requirements. Employing these practices will help you create engaging education for your learners and stay up-to-date on new technologies, while not breaking the bank.
By the end of the presentation attendees will be able to:
About Your Presenter
1. Provide examples of instructional methods used in effective
2. Select instructional methods and identify e-learning requirements based on content.
3. Compare and contrast different types of e-learning design tools through rapid prototyping.
4. Create a basic cost-benefit analysis of a selected e-learning design tool.
Phil B. Potter is an instructional designer, e-learning specialist, and founder of Kinetic Instruction; a company that creates educational experiences for schools, corporations, and non-profits. He designed his first educational program at 17, by creating and overseeing a peer-tutoring network at his high school. For the last 15 years, he has worked as an educator in a variety of environments; from K-12 classrooms to the corporate boardrooms of international companies.
Phil earned his Master’s degree from USC Rossier in 2016 as part of the first graduating class of the Learning Design and Technology (LDT) program. He currently serves as the Alumni Representative to both the USC Rossier Advisory board and the USC LDT Student Organization. He is a current member of ATD-LA and serves as their Social Media Manager.
Phil and Kinetic Instruction have launched more than 50 online learning experiences for students in 8 different countries. He and his team produce innovative e-learning solutions for complex situations for industries like healthcare, physical fitness, industrial hardware, and adolescent health.
- We will start out the evening with the mixer at The Lab Gastropub (BYO drinks)
- Our program will continue at the Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Room TCC 227
- Class of 2020, New Member Photo. All new members since January 1 are invited to be part of this class picture that will be taken at the end of the evening.
5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Summer Mixer, The Lab Gastropub, 3500 Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007 (across from USC, next to the USC Hotel)
The rest of the evening’s events will take place across the street at:
University of Southern California, Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Room TCC 227, 3607 Trousdale Parkway, Los Angeles, CA 90089
Please allow 5-10 minutes to walk across the street to the conference room.
6:30 p.m.- 7:00 p.m. Registration, Networking and Dinner
7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Program (all programs begin promptly at 7 pm)
8:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Networking and New Member Photo
Coming straight from the office with no time to eat? Don't worry, boxed sandwich dinners will be available for all attendees! Let us know your preference when registering.
ATD-LA is recognized by SHRM to offer SHRM-CP or SHRMSCP professional development credits (PDCs). This program is valid for 1.5 PDCs. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org.
Location: University of Southern California, Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Room TCC 227, 3607 Trousdale Parkway, Los Angeles, CA 90089
- $14 at any of these structures. Please allow 5-10 minutes to walk to the meeting room. Please tell the gate attendant you are attending an event at USC.
- Downey Way Structure, 3667 McClintock Ave., Los Angeles 90089 (Use the entrance from Vermont)
- Gate 3, USC McCarthy Way Structure, 3499 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles 90089,
- USC Hotel (Radisson), 3540 S. Figuero St., Los Angeles 90089, or
- Gate 4, USC Royal Structure, 672-698 W Jefferson Blvd., Los Angeles 90089
- Street parking is also available. Four- and two-hour metered parking is available on Figueroa Street and Jefferson Boulevard.
- USC is Metrolink friendly and it is also a 5 to 10 minute walk to the meeting room.
Pre-Registration Suggested: Cutoff to register with dinner is Monday, June 8.
Please click here for cancellation and refund policies.